Often times when customers at work find out how many kids I have, they'll ask "how do you do it?" The first thought that comes to mind is "not very well." I perpetually have mother guilt and feel I have not quite done enough. With each subsequent child my standards for the cleanliness of my home have decreased lest I go crazy trying to pick up 5x more mess than I can make. Honestly, this has been hard for me, but it's more difficult to not be angry when one of your dear children wipes toothpaste on the mirror you just cleaned or tracks in mud on the floor you finally got around to mopping.
The past two days I've been home from work and the kids are on Fall Break the next two weeks. We've been enjoying ourselves. Today between going to the Y to swim and having a picnic at the park we ran home to make sandwiches. The thought came to mind, as I looked around my house, of the various crime dramas on TV. You know how they say, "it looks like someone left in a hurry." I don't think anyone could tell if someone rifled (sp?) through my belongings or if the half eaten sandwich on the counter was from someone who lived there or the robber who had obviously ransacked this normally immaculate home. Nevermind, unless the bad guys play with polly pockets and eat lucky charms in a ziploc baggy they would know this is the house of a mom outnumbered by her kids and too tired to care.
*Revised* Actually, I need to give credit where credit is due. I recognize the hand of Heavenly Father in everything I do. There are more times than not lately that I give all that I can and rely on Heavenly Father to make up the rest. I know he does and I'm grateful. So next time someone asks me how I do it, I'll reply with a lot of help!
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I feel your pain. We often quote our fave line from Dumb and Dumber:
"Hey, let's trash the place and send them a message"
"I dont think they'll get that message"
Luckily I believe kids have an uncanny ability to not even see the mess, and when they are older they won't remember any of the pain in the butt you deal with. they will mostly remember the fun stuff and how they felt the majority of the time. We have plenty of years when they are gone to have a clean house. One person can only do so much. :D
Sounds like you are a fantastic mom. I am one of 7 and I remember how tired my mom would get trying to do it all. Spending time with your kids is so much more important than having a clean house. I can barely keep up with Taten. What I wouldn't give though to have 5 kids ransacking my house.
Bonnie, I've got a few you can borrow anytime :)
Having just watched conference, I think the talk that stuck with me the most was the prophets talk on finding joy in the journey...I think you are a great example of finding joy in your journey! Thanks for your example.
Post a Comment