Friday, September 5, 2008

Is it too late to change my mind?



"Is it too late to change my mind?" words spoken by Jasmyne in a brief moment when the move was so overwhelming and her dorm room was in complete chaos. "I could live at home and go to the community college next door." As much as I wanted to say, "pack it up, let's go home" I kept my cool and reassured her everything would be okay. All the while trying to convince myself the same. Could I actually leave my little girl up here to go it alone?


I noticed while we were driving up that all the songs on the radio were making me sad. Three different people responded..."stop listening to country!" I took the hint, and got the tears out of my system. The rest of the visit was spent unloading, hauling up four flights of stairs and a mountain (her dorm room is on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator and the closest parking lot is down a steep hill) and attempting to get her situated. We could have used a screwdriver and someone with more technological savvy, that's dad's department, but we got it worked out just the same. Her grandma had bought her all new green and blue bedding, towels, etc. and it turned out very cute!


Her room mate is very nice and is from Avondale. I felt bad for her because her parents drove her up and helped her unload and left. Jasmyne's biggest fear for a room mate, other than not getting along with her, was that she would be "over the top pink". She said "mom, I just don't know if I could handle that." Kind of ironic because her five year old sister adores pink! Well, be careful what you wish for, because she definitely was not the pink type. In fact, black is more her signature color. They are getting along very well, even though they seem to have little in common, except being freshmen.

Fast forward to two weeks into school: Still getting along great with the roommate. The roommate brought up Rockband, so they are playing that in the evenings when they have nothing to do. She came home once already last weekend because she "did not want to be bored." She's finding the hills a challenge on her bike and is not so happy about her dorm being on the southernmost end of campus and all her classes and dining hall being on the north.


Today she called and said, "Why did I want to go away to school? Why not ASU?" Which ended up meaning I'm bored and have not made friends yet, so I have nothing to do. Apparently, her schedule is not crazy enough for her after all the AP and Honors classes of highschool and she's not sure what to do with all her free time. She ended up deciding to take in a soccer game "by myself." I wish I could relate, but I never went away to college. What am I saying? I'm still in college!


She texts me often to let me know she's okay and I get to hear she loves me more than I used to. She also lets me know she's eating, because I worry about that! She says if any of you come up that way she wants a visit and swedish fish!

4 comments:

Rogers

Hey... Tell Jasymne i hope she is liking college! I miss her!! I bet she will make so many new friends... She is just awesome like that!!
From: Alex
p.s. I noticed she had a towel in her bathroom from girls camp(the one with her name on it)!!

Shauna

Sometimes I still think Jasmyne should be a Beehive...where does the time go?

By the end of the semester she will have made so many friends and get involved that she will never want to come home. It's always tough at the beginning no matter what. All of you hang in there!!

Maddy

Oh man, that is hard! It's been a good 11 years since I was a freshman in college, but I remember how hard it is to feel like yourself int he beginning. She'll have so man friends that be blowing you off in a few months. Just wait!

Brenda Janda

Jazz, You are a strong exmaple to us all. HEather thanks for blazing the trail I will need your shoulder in a year. We still need to hit a movie.